Please text JUSTICE to 50409 to send a pre-written email to your U.S. Rep and State Senators asking that they support the Justice In Policing Act of 2020 (a bill to overhaul policing in America).
The bill was introduced by Congressional Black Caucus Chair Karen Bass (D-CA), Senators Corey Booker (D-NJ) and Kamala Harris (D-CA), House Judiciary Committee Chair Jerrold Nadler (D-NY), plus 160+ US Reps and 35 US Senators.
Democrats new Justice in Policing Act:
• Bans chokeholds
• Bans no-knock warrants
• Requires bodycams
• Demilitarizes the police
• Ends racial profiling
• Limits qualified immunity
• Police misconduct database
• Lynching a federal crimepic.twitter.com/CjbZ7FBYcd
— Keith Boykin (@keithboykin) June 8, 2020
This comprehensive legislation will:
1. Make it easier for the federal government to successfully prosecute police misconduct cases;
2. Eliminate qualified immunity (more information about this legal doctrine here) for law enforcement;
3. Ban the use of chokeholds and no-knock warrants – which took the lives of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Eric Garner – at the federal level and encourage states to do the same;
4. Establish public safety innovation grants for community-based organizations to create local commissions and tasks forces to help communities develop concrete alternative policing practices that create accountability;
5. Create the first-ever national database of civilian police encounters, including the use-of-force and traffic stops, and requires the collection, analysis and release of such data;
6. Take military equipment made for war off our streets.
7. More of the transformative provisions included in this legislation: https://judiciary.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx….